A nice crunchy granola is a yummy way to satisfy that crunchy craving. However a lot of the granolas on the market are chalk full of hidden sugars and preservatives. Or if they aren't, they are super pricy. I believe that you get what you pay for, and I would totally pay for a healthier product, but this is such a simple thing to make, and we can easily do it at home. You might even have enough of the ingredients in your cupboard right now.
The best part is that this is a recipe that kids can help with. Let them choose some ingredients that they want, and then they are more likely to want to devour this tasty and healthy snack.
- 2 cups organic rolled oats
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup(optional)
- 1/2 TSP pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup shredded sulphite free coconut
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds(optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil on the stove( I don't own a microwave, we threw it away a long time ago, but I'll save that for another post)
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees
- I like to mix the oil, vanilla and maple syrup together before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Place parchment paper on your cookie sheet, and spread the granola mixture evenly.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Checking every 10 minutes to make sure that nothing burns, and that it bakes evenly.
Once its out and completely cooled, other things can be added if you want. Maybe some chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, dried goji berries, etc. The options are pretty endless. Store in an airtight container.
Now that you have your homemade granola, you can use it to top yogurt and make a parfait, enjoy it as cereal with milk, or put some in a container and enjoy as a dry snack.
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe. Let me know if you try it, and what alterations you chose.